Thursday 19 April 2012

What I've been up to......

So, it's been a good few weeks since my last post.  Unfortunately The Bruiser seems to be taking up most of my time (even eating into my evenings...........I know...........how dare he?) and when I do get any time to myself I seem to waste it surfing the Internet or reading a magazine.  I remember when I used to get through 4 or 5 magazines a month.  It takes me a month to read 2 now!!!!!!!

So, what have I been up to?  Well there's actually loads going on in my life right now.  Not all good and the bad seems to be taking up more time than the good at the moment (but that's a whole other post).  I don't like to write what I call "bad" posts but this particular subject is something that is very important to me and my family and has affected us all so much that I feel I need to put it out there.  However, it is one of those posts that I really want to take some time writing so I'll save it for another time.

Right then...........I've done a bit of making.............


This is the first official crochet thing I have ever made!  I have to say I am quite proud of myself.  I gave it to my friend as a birthday present.  Being on maternity leave I have to be careful with the old pennies at the moment and I love receiving gifts that I know the person giving has spent their time making as opposed to spent a lot of money buying.  I get the impression my friend didn't feel the same though............


I have lots of other ideas for crochet gifts so beware friends and family members!





These two books were picked up at my local house clearance shop.  They often have a collection of things they don't think they'll be able to sell, so they put them in the "free to take" section.  My brother is an art teacher in a prison and I thought they would make good reference material but he is adamant that he is keeping them to himself.  They were all part of his birthday present.  I decided to make him a hamper up.  His girlfriend is gluten and dairy intolerant and my bro is a little clueless so I put together the following.............

I purchased a brand new wicker basket from a car boot sale for £4.  I filled it with gluten free baking ingredients and some little essentials (gravy powder, stock cubes).  I then bought a plain black book with clear pockets in from Paperchase (approx £5 I think) and decorated the front cover with a tippex pen.

I then went online and copied various gluten and dairy free recipes and put them in the book!  You see, my bro has a 4 year old daughter and I thought it would be nice for them to be able to bake things together that his girlfriend would also be able to enjoy.  Oh, I also made each of them an apron but completely forgot to take photos of those!

I also managed to pick this lovely basket up for free when I found the books

As you can see the handle is a little broken but that wasn't about to stop me.

I figured I'd tape the handle and then put some material round it or something, however, when asking the Mr for some tape to mend my daughter's torch/sword/light up thingy he came back with some  satin looking sticky material tape stuff...........brilliant.............I just need to find some that comes in a Cath Kidston print now!

 I love the shape of the basket though.  It is now filled with my sewing stuff (I just need to make little drawstring bags to put cottons and needles and bits and bobs in etc).

Finally, I will leave you with a couple of pics of the cake that I baked for my niece's birthday.  Not bad to say I've never made a proper (as in with chocolate coating) cake before with decorations.  It was delicious!



Hope I won't leave it as long between posts next time. x


1 comment:

  1. Sweetie anyone can spend money (if they have it) but only special people spend their precious time and effort creating a gift for someone they care about. At least you know your Brother and Niece were thrilled with their gifts and I can vouch for the fab aprons. They are brilliant!

    Love Ya
    Mum XXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete